Any new shirts/records coming out soon?

David Bazan, Headphones, and PTL Discussion

Moderators: jacob, Mattmon

dtonbass

Any new shirts/records coming out soon?

Postby dtonbass » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:12 am

I looked in the webstore and noticed a lot of the designs aren't there right now. Were there plans to make some new shirts?

I'm also curious to know if there are any plans for more PTL related releases coming up...new Headphones album? Maybe some stuff TW is working on?

sherpa141

Re: Any new shirts/records coming out soon?

Postby sherpa141 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 pm

dtonbass wrote:I looked in the webstore and noticed a lot of the designs aren't there right now. Were there plans to make some new shirts?

I'm also curious to know if there are any plans for more PTL related releases coming up...new Headphones album? Maybe some stuff TW is working on?

Um ...
Criminals are the people we punish for being a nuisance; artists are the people we reward for being a nuisance; successful businessmen are criminals disguised as artists.
-Adam Phillips

ansible

Postby ansible » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:16 pm

He got hacked by a spam bot.
when I was a boy
everything was right

jeffrey

Postby jeffrey » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:19 am

I'm sorry to be the one to break the news but...2 weeks ago Dave announced that he was officially retired from any and all music writing in the interest of honing his skills as a dancer.

undertowmusic

Postby undertowmusic » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:30 pm

headphones = retired
"Your revolution is over. Condolences. The bums lost."

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:54 pm

undertowmusic wrote:headphones = retired

I am not that shocked but extremely disappointed. The headphones record is one of my favorite bazan albums. Heck, its just one of my favorite albums period.

FatalWound

Postby FatalWound » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 pm

SkeletonRock wrote:

I am not that shocked but extremely disappointed. The headphones record is one of my favorite bazan albums. Heck, its just one of my favorite albums period.

I really like the Headphones record too, but conceptually it seems kind of unnecessary to keep it as a separate project with Dave performing as a solo artist now. There's no real reason those types of songs couldn't just go on a solo record.
I'm just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind.

SkeletonRock

Postby SkeletonRock » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:06 pm

FatalWound wrote:
SkeletonRock wrote:

I really like the Headphones record too, but conceptually it seems kind of unnecessary to keep it as a separate project with Dave performing as a solo artist now. There's no real reason those types of songs couldn't just go on a solo record.

I kinda of disagree. I totally understand what you are saying, but the headphones always felt like sort of a character to me. Almost like an accent Dave was doing. I am not saying it wasn't sincere or anything, it just felt like it had a certain attitude.

ROY

Postby ROY » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:49 pm

SkeletonRock wrote:The headphones record is one of my favorite bazan albums. Heck, its just one of my favorite albums period.

ansible

Postby ansible » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:47 pm

SkeletonRock wrote:
FatalWound wrote:
SkeletonRock wrote:

I kinda of disagree. I totally understand what you are saying, but the headphones always felt like sort of a character to me. Almost like an accent Dave was doing. I am not saying it wasn't sincere or anything, it just felt like it had a certain attitude.

I totally agree here. Headphones was like a pseudonym; yeah, we knew it was Dave, but it wasn't who he had been up until that point. Almost like an alter ego where you can say whatever you want instead of feeling the weight of all the things you've said before. Just as the audience for Headphones was different, so was its speaker; and as others have said, it is an amazing album.

But maybe Dave doesn't need the pseudonym any more.

However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't love another Headphones record. I can already imagine how great it would be.
when I was a boy
everything was right

lovestartsdeath

Postby lovestartsdeath » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:07 am

ansible wrote:

I totally agree here. Headphones was like a pseudonym; yeah, we knew it was Dave, but it wasn't who he had been up until that point. Almost like an alter ego where you can say whatever you want instead of feeling the weight of all the things you've said before. Just as the audience for Headphones was different, so was its speaker; and as others have said, it is an amazing album.

But maybe Dave doesn't need the pseudonym any more.

However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't love another Headphones record. I can already imagine how great it would be.[/quote]

Well said. +1
"Learn everything, later you will see that nothing is superfluous." - Hugh of Saint-Victor (c.1096–1141)

My Records: http://deadformat.net/tradelist/somethingvinyl

andrewswafford

Postby andrewswafford » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:59 pm

I do realize you're undertow and a lot more in the know than I am...but I saw David open for mewithoutYou last summer and someone in the crowd asked if he was planning on making another Headphones record. He said yes rather enthusiastically. Maybe things have changed since then though.

jpotter

Postby jpotter » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:53 pm

Do not question the Bob.

I'd been torn between wanting another Headphones record and wanting solo Bazan to be more Headphones-y. The contrast between Headphones and CYB/future solo Bazan is probably less stark than when compared to PTL (thus necessitating a "side project"), and if Filter can be trusted, Strange Negotiations is Headphones-y. That's enough for me, for now.

numan_the_son

Postby numan_the_son » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:45 pm

um they are not retired what is your fucking problem with headphones and calling them retired is horrible because some people are retired and cant help it they were born with lack of oxygen.

azza

Postby azza » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:40 am

numan_the_son wrote:

um they are not retired what is your fucking problem with headphones and calling them retired is horrible because some people are retired and cant help it they were born with lack of oxygen.

have another beer, mate
if it isnt penetration then it isnt worth a kiss

Return to “David Bazan & PTL”